Dr. SubbaRao M Gavaravarapu Ph.D, FNAAS, FRSPHScientist 'E' & Head
NUTRITION INFORMATION, COMMUNICATION & HEALTH EDUCATION (NICHE)
Has a PhD in Health Communication from University of Hyderabad. He was ICMR International fellow at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore USA in 2013. Was an international invitee in the Summer School of Risk Communication at Technology University of Dresden, Germany in 2016 and International Union of Nutrition Sciences (IUNS) Workshop on Capacity and Leadership building in Nutrition Sciences in National Institute of Nutrition and Health, Tokyo, Japan.
His research interests are in health, nutrition and food safety communication with special emphasis on social, behavioral and cultural aspects of communicative processes. His research and praxis go beyond the traditional extension research/activities and integrate translational communication science with community-based approaches to promote nutrition awareness. He experimented and demonstrated the usefulness of unconventional media and methods using normative social cognitive approaches. Employing qualitative social science techniques, his research also examined knowledge, perceptions and behavioral aspects affecting food safety at multiple levels. He scripted and directed educational films on nutrition, food safety and health alongside developing many communication material. He conducted over 250 nutrition and health awareness programs for schoolchildren, women’s groups, industry, academics and other stakeholder groups. He co-ordinated the activities of the Secretariat of World Health Organization’s (WHO) Southeast Asia Nutrition Research-cum-Action Network of 11 member countries and edited the half-yearly newsletter of the Network from 2004-2012. He teaches nutrition communication to various regular and adhoc training programmes of the institute and serves as a guest faculty and resource person in Communication for training programmes at various prestigious institutes and Universities. He sits on expert committees of regulatory bodies like Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and has been a part of technical and project advisory groups of several academic organizations.Prior to joining NIN, he served in various capacities in TV, Press and Advertising.
FELLOWSHIP OF NATIONAL SCIENCE ACADEMIES (INSA, NASI, IAS, INAE) AND INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIES
1. Fellow of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS), 2021
2. Fellow of Royal Society of Public Health, UK, 2019
AWARDS BY ICMR AND NATIONAL ACADEMIES ETC.
3. VN Patwardhan Prize for excellence in Nutrition related areas from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
4. ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) International Fellowship for Young Scientists 2012 - 3 month tenure at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA. Jan - April 2013
5. Finalist and runner-up in the NASI-SCOPUS Young Scientists Awards 2014 in Social Sciences
AWARDS/RECOGNITION BY THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL LEVEL PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND ACADEMIES
6. Mid-career Award in Nutrition Exhibition & Behavior Science Section from American Society for Nutrition, 2020
7. Silver Author Recognition Award from Journal of Nutrition Education Behavior (Elsevier Journal with IF - 2.869) for frequency and excellence in manuscripts, for 3 consecutive years - 2018, 2019 & 2020
8. Platinum City Strategist Award 2009 from Foundation for Futuristic Cities, Hyderabad for developing a strategy on streamlining street food vending in Hyderabad.
9. JN Bose Memorial Award for Community Nutrition - 2008 from the Indian Dietetic Association.
10. Young Scientist Award in Community Nutrition from Nutrition Society of India in 2004
POSITIONS IN EDITORIAL BOARDS AND PROFESSIONAL BODIES
11. Asian Editor for American Journal of Health Behavior since 2013-2021 (Impact Factor - 1.176)
12. Chair, Health Communication Working Group, International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) 2016 - till date
13. Editorial Board Member, Journal of Nutrition Education & Behavior (2011-17 &2020-23)
14. Treasurer, Nutrition Society of India (NSI), 2015 - till date
15. Review Editor for ‘Frontiers in Communication’ Journal, 2016- till date